Clown Faces Family Learning Event – 17th September 2018
The Year 4 children had a wonderful morning creating clown faces with light up noses. Given only the resources needed to make a circuit, they were left to figure out how to make the bulb light up using only their imagination and creativity. Some children even went that extra mile and decided to include more than one bulb in their design. It was lovely to welcome family members along to the event too and see them being creative, working along side their children. In addition, the children were able to demonstrate the Sitwell Seven skills of RELATIONSHIPS, REFLECTION and RISK-TAKING when designing their clown face. The clown faces were then judged and the ones that came in first, second and third places can be seen below. The clown with the body attached came in first place as we thought that team went above and beyond the challenge success criteria. There was also a fourth place face as the teachers found it so hard to choose just 3 winning teams!
Below are the topics covered in Year 4;
Transport and Trade
Land of Hope and Glory
If you would like to know more about any of the topics being covered then please request this from the class teacher.
Home Learning Projects – Summer
During this term, we would like all the children in Year 4 to produce two Home Learning Projects. We believe this gives our children the opportunity to share their learning with family at home, engages them in their learning and allows them to share their knowledge, skills and talents with their peers.
The children are encouraged to choose the project ideas they would like to create and how they wish to present it to the rest of the class. Children should choose two activities to complete: one to be handed in on Monday, 3rd June 2019 and one to be handed in on Monday, 15th July. Children will be given the chance to share their learning with the rest of their class during that week. If your child needs any paper or other resources that school can provide, please encourage them to ask their class teacher.
- Build a model of a famous UK landmark – ancient or modern.
- Write a biography about a famous UK artist – painting, sculpture, writing, music.
- Research the different mountains/rivers in the British Isles. Record their heights/lengths in ascending order (smallest to largest).
- Read the poem ‘Land of Hope and Glory’ by Arthur Christopher Benson – what do you think it is about?
- Find out about the traditional foods of the UK. Create a 5-course menu to be served to the Queen, celebrating the best of British food.
- Make a scrapbook about the UK and its landmarks.
- Make a fact file about the UK containing interesting information linking to Geography.
- Compare Rotherham with Robin Hood’s Bay, or another seaside location. What are the similarities and differences? Record your findings imaginatively.
Please can you make sure your child brings their project into school by Monday 3rd June so that it can be shared with the rest of their class during that week.
Thank you for your continued support
The Year 4 Team
Do you want some engaging ways to help your child learn the tricky words for their year group? Click on the link for lots of fun, downloadable resources.
http://www.primaryhomeworkhelp.co.uk/ – Includes activities and games for English, Maths, Science, History, Geography, Art and Religion.